Monday, August 21, 2017

ONE YEAR.. give or take a couple of days

Me: What happened this week? I feel like we didn't really do anything. I can't remember.
Hna. Rivero: I don't know. I feel the same way. 

Well.. that's never a good sign. I guess I'll just have to start with what I do remember. Yesterday we had a baptism! I can't remember what I have said about A, but he was baptized yesterday on his 9th birthday. Since he turned 9 the day of his baptism and his parents are más o menos less active we taught him the missionary lessons so that he could prepare for his baptism. He is a cute kid and reminds me a lot of my little brother Joe. His mom definitely has some German ancestors, because she and he both look like they could be gringos. 

Anyway.. A never really liked to listen to us when we were teaching him. He's super smart and has a great memory, but he didn't take us super seriously. I had to remind myself frequently that he's only 9 years old. A few weeks ago we taught him the Ten Commandments.. and when we got to the Sabbath Day he told us he had a little problem haha. He wasn't sure if he could keep the Sabbath Day holy because he likes to play soccer with his neighborhood friends on the weekend. It was actually really awesome to hear his honesty and to help him understand the importance of the Sabbath Day and the things that he could do to keep it holy and enjoy the day. He still couldn't commit to keeping the Sabbath Day holy at the end of the lesson so we were a little bit unsure of what would happen in his interview.

The day of his interview we finished teaching a few things and then reviewed (repasar haha) the interview questions. He had his phone with him the entire time and wasn't really paying any attention. He was totally disinterested and we tried desperately to explain to him how important these questions were and his understanding of principles we had taught him. He seemed to understand that it was important and had a desire to be baptized and to receive the Holy Ghost, but he just wasn't really into it. At this point we were really worried for his interview, but he passed with flying colors and the Elder who interviewed him said that he was basically teaching him. I knew he was intelligent and that he was listening.. what a kid. 

His baptism was really special. The members who spoke did a great job and they bore powerful testimony too. When he came up from the water he looked so happy and then he said, "Wait a minute, I want to swim". Haha, he wanted to swim in the baptismal font. OH boy. At the end, Amaro was given the opportunity to share his testimony and it was really sweet! His confirmation will be this coming Sunday during sacrament meeting.

On Wednesday of last week we had lunch with the B family. I can't remember all that I've mentioned about them, but the Hermana is from California and she married a Chilean. They have been living here in Llanquihue for the past 3 years or so. It's always super.. stressful to have lunch with them haha! They live in a beautiful home with a view of the lake and all three volcanoes and the food is always so good, because well her cooking reminds me of home, but we always play a little trivia game based on gospel doctrine. We take turns asking questions and Hermana Rivero and I get really nervous every time because we are both fairly new members of the church and the hermano B has studied the Bible inside and out and has written two books in English (his seconds language). But it's not too bad, and it helps me learn things I didn't know before.

After lunch we had a lesson with our new investigator L. We taught the Restoration and it was so amazing. She had a lot of questions, but seriously every question she asked could be answered by the message of the Restoration. It was perfect. Unfortunately she travels a lot for her job and will be out of town this next week, but it just so happens that one of her very best childhood friends is the wife of the branch president! How great is that! We are super stoked because she has so much potential and really desires to know the truth. After the lesson with her I couldn't help but think how marvelous this work is. Heavenly Father really does prepare His children to receive the gospel and there really are so many people that "are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it." (D&C 123:12)  I know that all over the world our brothers and sisters are searching for the truth, and I know that Heavenly Father is preparing His children and His missionaries to help them find it. I love being a missionary!

Lots of love,

Hermana Sessions

No comments:

Post a Comment